Install speed comparisons FC5 -> rawhide

Since I commented on yum speed in rawhide, I thought I'd run some comparisons from Fedora Core 5 through current rawhide. We do PXE/http network installs using kickstart here and include extras/updates/local repositories in the install. I did the installs on a moderately old Pentium M 1.4GHz computer with 100MB ethernet. Here are the break downs (time is from the previous step to that line):

FC5 (919 packages)
(actually, this is a rebuilt FC5 repo with extras and updates merged in, and with NFS not HTTP)

boot
-> run anaconda		17s
-> basepkgsel		30s
-> postselection	41s   +
-> enablefilesystems	110s  |
-> installpackages	74s   +- 225s
-> copylogs		19:37

FC6 (984 packages)

boot
-> run anaconda		18s
-> basepkgsel		30s
-> postsel		238s  +
-> enablefilesys 	212s  |
-> installpackages	69s   +- 519s
-> copylogs		20:12

F7 (1039 packages)

boot
-> anaconda		19s
-> basepkgsel		24s
-> postselection	99s   +
-> enablefilesystems	284s  |
-> installpackages	69s   +- 452s
-> copylogs		17:53

rawhide (1109 packages)

boot
-> anaconda		30s (10s to insert wireless ipw2100 driver)
-> basepkgsel		27s
-> postselection	70s  +
-> enablefilesystems	39s  |
-> installpackages	72s  +- 181s
-> copylogs		33:19

Observations:

- FC5 was the best
- FC6 was *slow*
- F7 package install speed improved
- F8 startup is looking good, packages are taking longer to install though. Debugging still in rawhide kernel?
- Getting more and more packages each release.  Hmm..

It would be nice to have a log of how long each package took to install.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion cora nwra com