Fedora 8 Test 2 Release Notes

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Sep 18 17:55:41 UTC 2007

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:50:27 -0600
> Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
>
> > But if flash-plugin uses ALSA directly, then why doesn't the audio of
> > flash-plugin.i386 work on my x86_64 machine using nspluginwrapper when
> > alsa-oss-libs.i386 isn't installed?
>
> Because the 32bit flash application needs to open the 32bit
> libaoss.so.0 ?

My mistake.

After reading the replies, I went back and tried to investigate. I
expected something to show that something was
using /usr/lib/libaoss.so.0 while playing flash, but was surprised to
when lsof returned nothing. So I removed alsa-oss-libs.i386 and flash
audio still works.

It's just that audio stopped working when I upgraded to the Beta version
of flash-plugin and audio wouldn't work. I downgraded to the previous
version (the release version) and audio still wouldn't work. Prior to
that, I had removed some unneeded i386 packages on my system. When I
installed alsa-oss-libs, audio came back so I assumed it was OSS.

I still don't know what fixed the audio for me, but it wasn't
alsa-oss-libs. Sorry for the mistake.
--

Richi Plana