Re: Root login in rawhide and display managers

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 08:05:25AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > What's the rationale (again?) for disabling root login?
> I assume its to make sure that if your LDAP or NIS services fail you
> are totally screwed and cannot rescue the machine.

Proposed alternative: enable root logins, but customize the default root
GUI environment so it is a clear and simple rescue/configuration workspace,
not just another user's desktop.

At BU, we've been doing this for a long time -- you get system-config-users
and a terminal window and that's it.