Re: Root login in rawhide and display managers

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Richi Plana <myfedora <at> richip.dhs.org> writes:
Why would anyone want an application to run, anyway, that has the
potential of bringing down the system or accessing other users' files?

Unfortunately, when you're the only user on the system, running your applications as your regular user won't help much, they can still eat all your files. You'd have to run applications like browsers as a different user to take advantage of the user-based security model, and I don't see many people doing that.

Note that we have SELinux policies by default for Firefox from Fedora 7 onwards which can be further tuned to limit damage. There is also a guest user functionality in rawhide which can quite useful

http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/11913.html

Rahul