diff between Fedora + EPEL builds (python)

I'm having trouble updating mecurial.  I pushed an update to F-7 and devel.
It doesn't build on EL-4 though.  The problem seems to be, that python
setup.py build/install creates .pyc/.pyo on  F-7 and devel, but not on
EL-4.  Then, I get 'file not found by glob' for the missing files.  I also
tried %ghost on them, but EL-4 still complains they're missing.  Anyone
know what this is about and maybe how to fix it?  I'd like to make
mercurial for EL-4.