[RFC] /var versus /srv

Fedora has had the /srv directory in its default configuration for awhile now, and I think its high time we used it. Under the latest FHS specifications this is the correct place for /var/www and /var/ftp/pub and the like.

Personally I think this is a long overdue change and its about time we followed through on it. Service-provided files are very much on the fringe of /var 's purpose (which tends to be application state info that requires extended persistence). The location was no doubt chosen since the media performance requirements tend to align (though after this shift the average /var partition could probably be substantially smaller).

The counter argument is that we might well break some conventions associated with individual packages. On this end the individual maintainers will have to weigh in. httpd is a good choice for the first thing to move, since the current directory structure supporting it already deviate's widely from Apache's (horrifically awful) defaults.

Thoughts? Comments? Flames?

-C