Re: [RFC] /var versus /srv

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:39:49 -0400
Casey Dahlin <cjdahlin ncsu edu> wrote:

> Thoughts? Comments? Flames?

We talked about this in the Packaging Committee a while ago.  The FHS
docs are contradictory on the use of /srv, in that a vendor can't
create any layout as the local admin has full rights to use whatever
layout they want and we can't clobber it with our software.  Therefor
we leave /srv/ blank and let the sysadmin adjust configs if need be.
However we /do/ have some apps that drop content in there, namely
lighttpd and I think some torrent software.  Someone from the Packaging
team was going to engage the FHS on this matter, but I don't recall
seeing any outcome of that.

--
Jesse Keating