Re: [RFC] /var versus /srv

On 9/21/07, Richi Plana <myfedora richip dhs org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 13:15 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> >
> > B******t. :-)
> > 2 Directory Servers put data in there:
> > /var/lib/dirsrv
> > /var/lib/ldap
> > IIRC also MySQL and PostsgreSQL put data under /var/lib
> >
> > I guess you care about your databases contents, do you? :-)
>
> Unless I miss my guess, they're only there because someone packaging
> things for Fedora put them there. I sincerely doubt that those
> individual applications actually recommend a default location for their
> database. Even if they did make a recommendation, that's what packagers
> like Fedora have to decide on and override if need be.

/var/lib/pgsql/data is the default location for PostgreSQL database
when compiled with localstatedir as /var.

/var isn't just for temporary files.  It is all local writable data.
Some of it is temporary and doesn't need to be backed up.  Some it is
your most critical data and better be backed up.

 - Ian