Root login in rawhide and display managers

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Fri Sep 21 18:26:06 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 14:18 -0400, jam at zoidtechnologies.com wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 11:33:53AM -0400, David Boles wrote:
> > To say it once more.
> >
> > I think it is a good thing to *not* allow, by default, root GUI logins.
> > Those that want to do that can enable it. Those that can not figure out
> > how to enable it probably should not be doing it anyway.
> > --
> >
> >   David
> >

> I agree. +1.

I agree, as well. The important thing is for users to have access to GUI
applications that would allow them to do their admin work. A lot of that
is accomplished by accessing the same apps from System->Administration
and authenticating themselves, or "su -"'ing from a terminal and
executing X applications from there. They don't need a whole X session
to achieve their goal of administering the machine.

If they really want an X session as root for other reasons, then they
can log on a console VT and "startx :1".

But again, if root must be allowed to start an X session from gdm as
policy, then let it be a stripped down session.
--

Richi Plana