yum pulling in 386 packages

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Sep 24 13:48:08 UTC 2007

On Monday 24 September 2007 09:26:01 David Woodhouse wrote:
> > Quite simply, we want both runtime library and development package
> > availability of the secondary arch installed by default.
>
> We missed a step here. Why on earth would we want this? Users _don't_
> seem to want this.

+1

I can't see why anyone would want this. 2 years ago when open office was not
64 bit safe and several other high profile apps were still working out the 64
bit issues, I could see why we wanted this. Its different today. The fact is
that we cause people to download way more updates for libraries that are
completely unneeded. It affects people doing the mirroring, ISP's having
bandwidth consumed, and users that have issues related to failed updates
causing mismatching versions of 32 and 64 bit packages (with no good way to
fix it) and less available diskspace.

If you are a developer and  *want* the ability to do cross compiling, then I
could see those people wanting multilib. I think the common case is people
want a pure 64 or 32 bit machine so they have more free diskspace and quicker
updates and less hassle when it goes wrong.

-Steve