Re: yum update so slow

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:45 +0200, Jochen Schlick wrote:
> Hi, I have a laptop where rawhide is installed since the days
> of Fedora Core 1. It has only 256MB ram so updating using yum
> was always like a lame duck but nowadays it's really a crap.

> Last friday the yum update process crashed when yum wants
> to update the rpm library package.

>   -- and now, this morning after eight hours: 2 packages updated
>      (and a glibc error message about a double free...)

Do you have a core dump (well, if you have enough storage, yum is
sometimes too greedy :)?

>   -- with this update "speed" I will have an "up to date" system
>      in 12 days... :-(

What I was doing when updating my 128M machine w/o swap was NFS-mounting
its root and updating it on a machine with more memory, or used rpm by
hand. Trying to use yum on that machine would not be smart (yum is
unable to fork itself when trying to run scriptlets).