/etc/hosts and system entries

Hi,

So, /etc/hosts comes setup by default (i.e. after kickstart install)

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain localhost

I'm fairly certain to not too long ago (redhat-9 perhaps) the hostname of the system was also added to the localhost entry:

127.0.0.1  my.host.com my localhost.localdomain localhost

This had the distinct advantage that when apps (i.e. yum-updatesd) sent mail from the system via a mail host then address would appear as:
root my host com  instead of root localhost com

Am I remembering correctly, in terms of how I believe it used to be? If so, anyone know why it changed?

Cheers,
Harry