pm-utils ping-pong upgrade/downgrade problem in F7

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Sep 27 22:36:56 UTC 2007

Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta <at> iki.fi> writes:
> Etc etc.  Duh.  yum does not appear to be affected by this.  I suppose this
> could be argued to be a bug either in smart or yum (I don't have that strong
> opinions about which one it is although yum behaves in the desired way in
> this particular case)

Synaptic does the right thing too (upgrades pm-utils, installs radeontool and
vbetool, no ping-pong). IMHO, this is smart trying to be too smart. This
example shows how automatic downgrading is evil. Yum and apt won't even look at
old versions of packages unless you force them to (in yum, you also need the
yum-allowdowngrade plugin to even be able to force it).

        Kevin Kofler