Re: Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:57:08 +0000
""Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"" <johannbg hi is> wrote:

With strictly the media support ( ugly-plugins etc. ) and the
rpmfusion repo installed,
and excluding AMD and Nvidia drivers
will we need Rename the spin or could it be released under Fedora name
and artwork? * Legal/others

No.  You are including content that is not in Fedora, therefor you
cannot use the Fedora trademark and cannot use the trademarked logos.
You would have some renaming work ahead of you.

I guessed so.. and replacing the artwork as well right?
If needed to change the name/artwork would FedoriansFusion be A OK
If naming/artwork is changed could we include the AMD and Nvidia
drivers?

Once you change the name, you can do whatever the heck you want with
it, under the laws and restrictions of the particular country where
it's being produced.  I would suggest consulting a lawyer as to what
laws apply (in particular with offering encryption technology).

Encryption added to the checklist..

But would I still be allowed to update and use Fedora repos right?

As in how deep would I need to go in renaming things?
Removing every image containing the Fedora logo and every instance of the word Fedora.
Repackage?

Will this be available on fedoraprojects.org as in
will Max Spevack put his money where is mouth is so I quote Max
"So go forth and mix your own Fedora. And then come back and share it with us, and we’ll put it up on the _*Fedora website for others to
use also.*_"
ref. ( http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/05/31/remixing-fedora-7/ )
Or was this just a pr c...

Remix implies that you take the package set and do something
interesting with it, not just add a bunch of stuff from outside
Fedora.  Furthermore, regardless of location, Fedora isn't interested
in patent encumbered software, as it's not free for /everybody/.  It's
entirely uninteresting to promote such a thing.

Mean what are the exact issue with for example libdvdcss ? licenced GPL

In other words for me do get my spin hosted on fedora project I can only play
with fedora packages in fedora repo and how *my* setup is aka spin correct?

As in my spins do not include Emacs because Emacs sucks as an editor compared to Vi..

No offense Emacs users this was just an example...

It would be interesting download stats Fedora VS Fedora with media support :)

Not really.
For me it it would.

Would it increase the usage of Fedora?

Also would like to see what would be the next issue if the media problem would go away from user perspective. ( As in the user didn't have to bother to take some extra steps him self work out of the box kinda thing. )

Best regards.
         Johann B.
--

Johann B. Gudmundsson. RHCE,CCSA