/etc/hosts and system entries

Kostas Georgiou k.georgiou at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Sep 28 14:25:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 05:47:58AM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:43:42 +0200
> "Alexander Boström" <abo at kth.se> wrote:
>
> > While I do believe Kerberos protocols, libs or apps should be smarter
> > about these things sometimes and I'm not sure what really happens here
> > (though I've seen this happen a few times) I really do think Kerberos
> > is in its right to complain when it's fed lies. If you put the
> > hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line, doesn't that override everything DNS
> > says?
>
> Almost every single location I take my laptop there is no dns entry for
> my hostname.  Relying upon every hostname to be DNS resolvable is
> extremely dated thinking.

You don't run any kerberos services at setups like this though (clients
still work of course), not that different to ssl actually. In any case
more or less everything in my systems uses kerberos and I haven't
noticed any problems with the hostname on the 127.0.0.1 line that I can
remember.

Kostas Georgiou