Fedora spin from RpmFusion

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Sep 28 17:01:32 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 10:56 -0600, Lamont Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:57:08 +0000
> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is> wrote:
>
> > We gonna start an Rpmfusion Fedora spin giving user
> > the much wanted/needed media support in Fedora.
>
> With yum based Anaconda, I can add any repos I want to at install time
> and then select a customized set of packages from all of them.  This
> means that if you produce a CD/DVD that I can download and you put the
> proper repodata/ (and comps?) on the disc, then I can use it.

Well, except that at that point during the install, we have the CD
mounted and so you can't unmount to swap CDs.  Changing that probably
means committing to partitioning changes sooner (currently, we delay
them until right before packages install unless you need early swap) so
that we can move the install image to the hard disk.  And then there may
be a little bit of subtlety in ensuring that the ordering of package
installation ends up right.  But it's mostly a matter of someone sitting
down, writing some code and doing some testing.

> But why would you want to produce such an image?  It would be out of
> date before the first person finished downloading it.  It might work,
> as long as people do not include any live over-the-network updated or
> updates repos in their installs.  So, I guess it would be useful when
> someone has a need to install in an isolated environment/network
> without Internet access.
>
> So, I'm not sure if it would be that useful or not.

There are a lot of cases like the above where it is useful.  Also cases
where people only have sporadic network access.  Or slower network
access and get media from a friend.  Or connect via something more
esoteric that anaconda doesn't support setting up.  So there's
definitely value in doing the work

Jeremy