Fedora (again) forces me to disable SELinux

darrell pfeifer darrellpf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 02:32:16 UTC 2008

2008/3/31 Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:13 PM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Selinux keeps proving me that it deserves to shut down. i can't help
> > it that it blames me for playing flash animation, using a gif
> > animation in a local web folder or oven just installing updates from
> > fedora itself..
> >

> Actually you CAN help.. you CAN help by taking the hint i provided earlier
> and start talking to people through the test list so we can troubleshoot the
> specific messages you have been seeing..instead of doing what you are doing
> right now, which is failing to communicate with enough specificity for
> anyone to confirm or help track down so things can be fixed.  Clearly you've
> made up you mind... you decided you don't WANT to help. That's fine.. that's
> your choice... but do so with the understanding that by doing so you cheapen
> the testing process that the pre-releases is meant to fulfill.  By choosing
> to ignore selinux completely, you certainly aren't living up to the implied
> agreement to act as a responsible tester when you chose to make use of the
> pre-releases.
>   -jef"permissive mode is a available a compromise"spaleta

Yes, security is a compromise. Having dealt with selinux for quite
some time I've typically tried it, re-tried it, re-tried it again,
weighed my options and turned it off.

I didn't realize that turning off selinux meant I was such a bad
tester. I just thought it meant there were some parts of the system
that I was unwilling to test. I don't feel cheap or irresponsible.

If testing selinux is such an important part of the testing agreement,
please publish this information in a written rather than tacit place.

darrell

darrell