Too many default services on

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 03:07:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Trying a yum everything install, I found out, that booting now takes endlessly.
>  >
>  >  # ls /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S*|wc -l
>  >  95
>  >
>  >  Please review, if the packages really need to be "on" after an install.
>
>  I would like to point out that a significant number of those packages
>  are useless without configuration.

How many of them need to be configured via flat files before they are
useful?  How many of them can be integrated in some system that says,
you have X services running, some unconfigured, go to website on
localhost to edit?  Perhaps I'm thinking about something with a very
broad scope, but broadly put, isn't it a better idea that we have
something working out of the box, especially if it asks the user to
tweak a few settings. Right now, we assume the user knows how to edit
text files, and presume that the user will do so, rather than getting
frustrated and switching to some other system that just provides
pretty graphics?

/me argues for better userfriendyness in the unix world.

Yaakov