Too many default services on

Bradley Baetz bbaetz at acm.org
Tue Apr 1 05:58:12 UTC 2008

Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 4:37 AM, Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Trying a yum everything install, I found out, that booting now takes endlessly.
>>
>>  # ls /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S*|wc -l
>>  95
>>
>>  Please review, if the packages really need to be "on" after an install.
>>
>>  # for i in  /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S*; do rpm -qf /etc/init.d/${i/*S[0-9][0-9]/};done | sort -u
> <snip>
>
> You've just installed everything.  I wouldn't be worried about boot
> time as much.  Many of these packages, you would expect that someone
> wil actually use the services they provide.

There are some brought in by dependancies, though. eg the recent F8
libvirtd update brings in iscsi-initiator-utils that run an iscsi daemon
on startup.

(The iscisd int script also runs:

        chkconfig --level 06 network off
         rm /etc/rc0.d/*network
         rm /etc/rc6.d/*network

which may be useful in an iscsi setup, but less so for someone who just
wants a VM. It also can't/isn't removed if that package is removed, but
I guess that thats a separate bug....)

Bradley