F9 parallel vs. serial bootscript

Optimization Kit optimizationkit at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 14:40:03 UTC 2008

On 01/04/2008, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/4/1, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit at gmail.com>:
>  > On 01/04/2008, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > 2008/4/1, Optimization Kit <optimizationkit at gmail.com>:
>  >  >
>  >
>  > >  > Here is my default system - without paralellisation
>  >  >  >  http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart05.png
>  >  >  >  27 seconds
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Darn that's fast.. how do you do that.. my default is way longer than that.
>  >  >  is that even fedora? ;)
>  >
>  >
>  > Yup, it's Fedora 9.
>  >
>  >  I disabled all unneeded services, compiled a custom kernel - that's all.
>  >
>  >  As you can see on
>  >  http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart02.png - nash-hotplug
>  >  takes "ages" - a random value from 10 to 15 seconds. I filled a bug
>  >  report.
>  >

> lol that's what you call _default_ :) i call it highly customized.

vanilla kernel + linux-2.6-execshield.patch + linux-2.6-smarter-relatime.patch
disabled debugging

>  Could you perhaps put a guide online on how you customized your kernel

You can read about this in Linux Kernel Testers Guide
http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/handbook/handbook-en-0.3-rc1.pdf

>  and other things to get your boot time so low? So just a full guide to
>  go from fedora 9 1 minute boot to 20 seconds boot. Would be
>  interesting!

Unfortunately my English is not very good...

If you want tune up Linux there is a little daemon ;)
http://optimizationkit.org/
(English documentation can be found in archive)

Regards,
Michal