How to bring up ypbind with NM in F9?

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Tue Apr 1 16:10:47 UTC 2008

Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 14:46 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
>> So, how are we supposed to start ypbind on F9 with NetworkManager?  The
>> ypbind init script currently runs before NM startup and so fails to run.
>
> We start HAL at 23, and NM at 24, since I think dbus is at 22.  Whatever
> the order is, we need to start dbus -> hal -> NM in that order, whenever
> it's appropriate.
>
> I'll rebuild HAL & NM packages with the right ordering, but what should
> that ordering be?  Is 23 & 24 sufficient for the cases that people need?
> What might require network that starts after 'network' (10 IIRC) and
> when NM would start in this schemed (24)?

I'm seeing NM start at 99:

# chkconfig --del NetworkManager
# chkconfig --add NetworkManager
# ls -l /etc/rc3.d/S*NetworkManager
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-04-01 10:07 /etc/rc3.d/S99NetworkManager
-> ../init.d/NetworkManager

# grep chkconfig S99NetworkManager
# chkconfig: - 98 02

Another issue I've run into is that NM starts up in the background
(right?) so the network may not be available after the init script returns.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion at cora.nwra.com