Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 19:29:51 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Mark <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pseudo code style..
> yum list install gimp [1]
> if yum found gimp
>  - ask to look for updates and install them if the user answers "y"
> else
>  - install gimp
>
> [1] I noticed that yum wants to update his local repository here as
> well. I think it's better to get that behaviour out yum and only
> update it's local repo if there is none available or a update command
> is given or a install command is given.
>
> Hope that explains it better.

Human: I want to see what version of a package I have installed without
doing network access.

Yum command:  yum list installed packagename

Human I want to see if there is an update of that package available

Yum command  yum list updates packagename

I dont see a reason why yum needs to be interactive and prompt for a chain
of queries..when you can do the queries yourself in whatever order you
desire.

-jef