Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 20:25:02 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:

>> The main reason would be that for most of the commands, yum decides for
>> itself each time whether or not it will spend several minutes chatting
>> with repositories and mucking around the rpm database before getting
>> back to the human that may have not typed the right question the first
>> time.  Meanwhile the human will get bored and read email lists to fill
>> his time.
>
> Feel free to back up the above with some numbers, please. Yum shouldn't
> spend anytime 'mucking around the rpm database'. If you can find a place
> where it is please let us know in a bug report.

I'd already posted that, but .129s real time for rpm vs. 3.566s for yum
to show an installed program version.  Most of the time seemed to be in
the 'loading modules' phase.

> If you want to run yum w/o having it access remote locations then do
> what james said, set your metadata expiration to -1 so it never expires
> and use that.

I don't want it to 'never' access repos, just not in the middle of
several queries that would be faster without having to load and
initialize each time.  And I especially don't want to have to make
non-default settings on every machine to make it behave reasonably.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com