Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Tue Apr 1 20:34:51 UTC 2008

 I'm going to assume, on the fedora-devel-list esp, that you are talking
about current yum behaviour ... i.e. yum-3.2.13.

On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 14:50 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The main reason would be that for most of the commands, yum decides for
> itself each time whether or not it will spend several minutes chatting
> with repositories

 _If_ the metadata_cache timeout has expired then it asks if the ~2.5K
repomd.xml is still valid, which is what 4 packets total to a server?
 If the repomd.xml is different, then yum will download the correct MD
needed ... because being correct is the right thing to do.
 And yum-updatesd is running by default and so will download all of the
primary needed metadata automatically anyway, when the user isn't using
yum (so the metadata_expire will never hit). So you have to have turned
that off, to hit this problem ... or need some of the non-default
metadata (feel free to configure mdpolicy appropriately, if that happens
to you a lot).

 And _also_ for "yum list installed foo" yum will not speak to the
repos. at all, because it doesn't need the repo. data.

>  and mucking around the rpm database

 err, no.
 Unless by "mucking around" you mean "loading data from" ... but it's
kinda hard to give a result without knowing the result, feel free to
send patches for a yum-esp plugin though.

>  before getting
> back to the human that may have not typed the right question the first
> time.

 Patches for yum-dwim also accepted.
 C-c works at any point though (rpm turns it off at times, but yum tries
to minimise that).

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat