Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 22:01:27 UTC 2008

James Antill wrote:

>> seth vidal wrote:
>>> this one is listing all installed and available pkgs:
>>> time yum list > /dev/null
>>>
>>> real	0m4.404s
>>> user	0m3.904s
>>> sys	0m0.291s
>>>

>>> So yum is listing 10115 pkgs (on my system) in 4.404 seconds.
>>>
>>> I can't show you the comparable command in rpm b/c it doesn't exist.
>> How many modules did it load and how many repos did it query?
>
>  You know you can check out git HEAD in like one command, or try 3.2.13
> from rawhide in a couple of yum commands ... if you think we are fudging
> the numbers.

These numbers are kind of irrelevant to me since I'll be using whatever
was shipped in Centos for many more years in the large number of
machines where I care about the time it takes to do things.  Building
something from source to see if I can save a couple of seconds on my one
fedora box doesn't sound very productive.

>  For what it's worth I have 12 plugins and 10 enabled repos. (33
> disabled ones) and yum list > /dev/null takes 3.6 seconds with git HEAD.

I'll appreciate that when it makes it to Centos.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com