Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 01:47:00 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:

> I think it is okay for programs under development to change their
> options when they have a major version change. including --download-only
> originally was a mistake that was corrected.

Personally, I think the download only option should be an
always-available choice, since many people will want to baby-sit updates
but would prefer not to have to wait around while the downloads happen.
In fact I'd expect that to be the most common use if the documentation
gave it as an example.  Just my opinion...

But aside from modularization, why was the change in the name of the
option necessary?  Doesn't it annoy you when python changes something
that makes your scripts version-specific?

>> Consistency is offtopic?  How odd.  Do I have to look at some other
>> distributions to find one that understands that consistent operations
>> are valuable?
>
> discussing inclusion of programs in centos and rhel is offtopic for
> fedora-devel, yes.

The expectation of consistency is the only point I care about here.
Should I expect to always have to know the distribution/version/plugins
of every machine running yum in order to do common operations across them?

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com