very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 06:52:09 UTC 2008

<dropped kernel-maint from cc. That's the default bug assignee,
 which is somewhat strange to cc>

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 02:41:58AM -0400, Chris Snook wrote:

 > It also makes it much more difficult to troubleshoot those subsystems or
 > work around their quirks.  I wouldn't have a problem with ext3, jbd, or
 > dm_* being built-in, but anything that deals with hardware should really
 > be modular.  Of course, that wipes out most of your list.
 >
 > I'd really rather focus on optimizing modprobe than sacrificing the many
 > benefits of modularity for a very small performance boost.

There's another reason why usb hcd's were proposed to be built-ins.
We may get to use usb-serial for logging boot messages if we do so.
(and also build-in the relevant usb-serial modules).

given the absense of serial ports on a lot of modern machines, this
may prove to be useful.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk