Re: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Harald Hoyer wrote:
Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in the kernel cuts down my boot time from 42s to 32s on my computer:

ata_generic
ata_piix
cdrom
dm_mirror
dm_mod
dm_snapshot
dm_zero
ehci_hcd
ext3
floppy
i2c_core
jbd
libata
mbcache
ohci_hcd
parport
parport_pc
pata_acpi
scsi_mod
sd_mod
sg
snd
snd_mixer_oss
snd_page_alloc
snd_pcm
snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq
snd_seq_device
snd_seq_dummy
snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_oss
snd_timer
soundcore
sr_mod
uhci_hcd

If we're giong todo this please leave out any modules that do hardware probing, so atleast no floppy please.

In legacy free / floppy less PC's loading the floppy module will cause a huge delay while it tries to talk to a non existing floppy drive, the same would probably apply to parport_pc

other then that I believe this is an easy solution for reducing the delays caused by for modprobe sucking speed wise.

Regards,

Hans