very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 07:29:17 UTC 2008

Hans de Goede wrote:
> Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 04:55:54PM -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
>>  > Harald Hoyer wrote:
>>  > > Compiling these modules, which are loaded on nearly every PC, in
>> the  > > kernel cuts down my boot time from 42s to 32s on my computer:
>>  >  > > floppy
>>  >  > I was going to suggest you might want to leave that one out,
>> since I wouldn't  > think its that common anymore... then I checked,
>> and this is loaded on my  > machine which has no floppy.
>>
>> The code to detect if we have a floppy controller lives... in the
>> floppy module.
>> It's not something that's trivially detectable like pci/usb devices.
>>

> Isn't this (determing wether or not to load floppy.ko) done (on PC's) by
> checking if the BIOS has a floppy configured?
>
> Andrew, can you see if your BIOS thinks you have a floppy (the default)
> and if so tell it it hasn't, then floppy.ko shouldn't get loaded anymore
> and that should results in a couple of secs ood speedup.

My BIOS has the floppy deliberately turned off (set not present) and in fact the
floppy drive has been removed.  That does not rule out a Dell BIOS bug though
(Dell precision 340 workstation).

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29
  revoked key 0xC99B1DF3 no longer used