very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Apr 2 14:46:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 16:33 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Delaying does only lead to a windows like startup behaviour.. you can see your Desktop, but you can't click it.

Not sure that's such a bad thing: in my tests, I can start _using_
Firefox in Windows before our kernel even finishes to boot.

Beyond that, even if it doesn't shorten the boot time but allows the
user to enter the password, it is still a win: I can go get a coffee
while the darn thing boots, and be sure it's ready for me when I come
back. As it is now, it takes a minute to the point where I can use
Firefox from the time I enter the password! That's twice the time it
takes Windows to boot _and_ start Firefox.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.