Summary of my Fedora 9 Boot Time Testing

Harald Hoyer harald at redhat.com
Wed Apr 2 15:09:52 UTC 2008

Optimization Kit wrote:
> On 02/04/2008, Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> wrote:
>> F9 Beta install -> yum update
>>
>>  Boot time: 55s
>>
>>  Turning off all services, but the most needed for an internet connected
>> desktop, saves 4s from 12.5s service boot time. IMO not worth the loss of
>> functionality.
>
> 55s - 12.5s = 42.5s
>
> 42.5s from boot manager to rc5 if I understand it correctly. Strange!

no... 12.5 = runlevel start -> X11 start ... overall boot time in the bootchart ends with the gdm greeter

> Here is a worst case scenario on my machine 30s to rc5
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/fedora-upstart/bootchart-serial.png

arping in network static startup and "rdisc", which I don't know.

>>  Turning off rhgb saves 6s. Eyecandy or faster booting? I take the 6s.
>> Thanks.
>>
>>  Turning off selinux and related services saves 10s overall boot time.
>> Trading off security with boot time. I don't know. But maybe a good starting
>> point for optimization.
>
> Fedora has wonderful security features. I tuned boot time to 29s
> without disabling them.
>
> http://www.stardust.webpages.pl/files/bootchart04.png

well, this is what I mean.
Look at http://people.fedoraproject.org/~harald/bootchart-6.svg

You have compiled your own kernel, without modules, IIRC. See how fast nash is in your chart.

                             You   Me
until rc.sysinit start:     4     12
rc.sysinit duration:        7.4    9
rc -> X11 start:           10      8