Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:43:31 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you saying that Fedora will publish any kind of cruft an upstream
> developer cranks out?  I was trying to give you guys some credit...

I am saying that it is an explicit goal of this project to work directly
inside of the upstream communities as much as possible. Because we as a
project care about making the widest impact as possible.  What is good for
Fedora is generally good for other distributions which are relying on the
same technology codebases.. and as a project we strive to have our
contributors working inside of upstream project communities so the Fedora
the distribution is a consumer of the results of balanced best effort
decision-making.  So when someone in our community sees a problem with
technical decisions that upstream is doing, we expect them to make a best
effort to communicate their arguments to upstream before making a case to
deviate from upstream decisions in the Fedora distribution specifically.
When individuals don't make that best effort to have the discourse as part
of the upstream project, then they are debasing Fedora project and its
mission to be a conduit for upstream development.

In the specific cases of cross-distro compatibility concerning yum behavior
that you have brought up. Your logic is fundamentally flawed. Fedora
specific changes which deviate from yum's upstream behavior will not
guarantee cross distro compatibility...because no distro..not even RHEL is
compelled to take fedora specific patches.

If we continue to assume that you are being honest, and you actual care
about cross-distro compatibility for yum.. then at some point I will be
forced to moderate your access to this list in an effort to act in your best
interest so that you'll move your discussion to the upstream yum channels so
that cross-distro compatibility can be discussed in a way that has a shred
of hope of solving your problems long term.  That's how much I care about
making sure your interests are best served.  I know, its tough love, and
believe me it will hurt me more than it hurts you to have to do it.

-jef"take a hint"spaleta