very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Apr 3 14:18:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:04 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 07:41:04AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>  > Konrad Meyer wrote:
>  > > Quoth Andrew Farris:
>  > >> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>  > >>> [1] One of these machines is an ancient i586. On this machine, RAM is
>  > >>> such kind of tight (64MB), any spared memory is valuable. More built-in
>  > >>> kernel modules probably will mean the death of Fedora on this class of
>  > >>> machines.
>  > >> I would have thought it already got there.. 64Mb wow?
>  > >
>  > > I have a i586 with 128M of ram running Fedora 8. It doesn't run X, but it
>  > > works great as a low-capacity web/dhcp/etc server and router.
>  >
>  > Do these older/limited machines do anything better now than they did in
>  > the 2.4 kernel days?
>
> Good luck trying to get the installer to run on anything less than 512MB these days.
512MB? Has Fedora's installation requirements become this kind of poor?

But correct, installing Fedora on low memory systems has always been a
PITA. Things have gotten worse with every release.

However, apart from i586 specific bugs tending to not to receive much
(any?) attention and tending to remain open for years, running and
updating/upgrading such systems so far has always been possible.

Actually, my old i586 system works quite smoothly with FC8 and better it
did with some older Fedoras.

Ralf