bugzilla triage madness :-/

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 12:03:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 04:12:42 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:

> FYI, that was a bot running on behalf of the bug triage project and (as I and
> others understood it) was not supposed to be flooding bugs in rawhide but only
> in older releases... to weed out stale and forgotten bugs.  Its a good thing,
> though partially seems to have gone awry at the moment.

With all due respect, this is a lame excuse IMO. To find out *why* some
tickets are ignored would be interesting. Not just threaten to close them
and effectively hide the issues under the carpet. The bot did exactly the
wrong thing, because if the NEEDINFO is ignored, too, the bugs remain
"stale and forgotten". You would not even learn if they are assigned to
wrong people. That's a belated April Fool's joke.

| Based on the date this bug was created, it appears to have been reported
| against rawhide during the development of a Fedora release that is no
| longer maintained.

What do I care? When I filed the bug, the product was fresh and maintained,
wasn't it? But more than a year later I'm no longer willing to spend time
on the same issues without a single sign of life from the package owner.

| If you can reproduce this bug in a maintained Fedora version (7, 8, or
| rawhide), please change this bug to the respective version and change
| the status to ASSIGNED.

Why? So I'm kept busy or what? What is needed is a method to guarantee
that the assignee handles the ticket actually.

There are plenty of tickets where I even posted patches (which makes
the tickets "EasyFix" cases). E.g. https://bugzilla.redhat.com/233833