NetworkManager + 802.1x wired? [Re: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process]

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:09:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 21:33 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> There's support for it, yes, but not via the UI (yet).  If the correct
> bits get populated in GConf, then it should work.  I can send details on
> how to do that if you'd like.
>
> Dan

Yeah, I'd like. To outline my situation:

* at home I have wireless connection with WEP key authentication works
perfect with rawhide, nm even remembers that it should connect to the AP
I use rather than trying another (which was the case in F8)

* at dorm I have wired connection and the script I made for the
connection has to do these steps:

  1. stop NetworkManager service
  2. turn on eth0 interface (via ifconfig eth0 up)
  3. after short wait start xsupplicant
    - it uses eap-ttls certification and pap authentication
  4. start dhclient

I don't know if I am able to use wpa_supplicant instead of xsupplicant
as the last time I tried it (FC6 days) I wasn't able to successfully
authenticate.

Thanks,
Martin