very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 4 14:25:39 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 16:18 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 10:04 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> > Good luck trying to get the installer to run on anything less than 512MB these days.
> 512MB? Has Fedora's installation requirements become this kind of poor?
>
> But correct, installing Fedora on low memory systems has always been a
> PITA. Things have gotten worse with every release.

256 should be doable[1].  192 is in the "maybe" range, we swing back and
forth some on it just based on some external pressures and I just
haven't had a chance to try it.  davej just got recently burned a bit by
two bugs[2] that were hurting the installer's memory usage a bit.

Jeremy

[1] With swap
[2] One was that we hadn't gotten to moving stage2 out of RAM yet.  The
other was that os.path.join has one entirely non-intuitive way of
calling it...