bugzilla triage madness :-/

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 16:10:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 6:43 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 11:36:42 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>  > I think that instead of insulting the Triage Team's work, it would be more
>  > productive to kindly ask them to help you triaging the bugs you reported
>  > because they are too many for you to deal with (something which is obvious to
>  > me at least, I know what a mountain of bugs looks like!). I am sure you can
>  > work something out that way instead of creating bad air and sour grapes. Please
>  > work with each other, not against each other!
>
>  Tell that the bot!
>
>  I mean it. Why the superfluous work? Where are the maintainers? Ah, I
>  remember, they are flooded with tickets and cannot handle them all. Then
>  why should I spend more time on re-evaluating defects again if there is no
>  guarantee that this time they will be fixed? Where in the protocol is the
>  person to work on the fix? Right, nowhere. The same [or new] maintainer may
>  decide to ignore the report again due to lack of time or lack of interest.
>  Till next time when I'll be asked to retest against F10.
>
>  I don't criticise that tickets are set to NEEDINFO with some cool-looking
>  "bzcl34nup" keyword applied to them. I criticise the plans to close
>  tickets after 30 days, because that is equal to hiding things under the
>  carpet. And it doesn't help with orphaned packages either. Look at
>  http://bugz.fedoraproject.org/plague for example. The packages are
>  unmaintained since FE6. What will happen if the NEEDINFO call is not
>  answered? The packages will remain broken and unmaintained. There are
>  other packages where the example would be valid, too.

I realize you are frustrated but you do not seem to be happy with any
solution. Leave them open forever... and it shows that no one cares.
Close them after a certain time and it shows that no one cares.

Would you be happy with a firing squad for maintainers? A public wall
of shame? Is there anything that would make you happy that could be
done within X weeks by Y volunteers?