bugzilla triage madness :-/

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 19:16:18 UTC 2008

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:10:42 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> I realize you are frustrated but you do not seem to be happy with any
> solution. Leave them open forever... and it shows that no one cares.
> Close them after a certain time and it shows that no one cares.
>
> Would you be happy with a firing squad for maintainers? A public wall
> of shame? Is there anything that would make you happy that could be
> done within X weeks by Y volunteers?

Yes. There's a better form of bug management in my opinion. Help with the
automated triaging efforts _only where_ the corresponding bugzilla
components are flooded with tickets actually. [Take a look at one of Dave
Jones' recent blog entries where he listed some statistics about bug
numbers since FC1.] Create groups of components, so the bug count adds up
for large pieces of software like Xorg, KDE, etc. Next, calculate the bug
count per assignee, to see whether any particular person receives an
excessive number of bugs. But don't threaten to close tickets where an
assignee is _not_ buried beyond hundreds of bugs. Those are the cases
where something is wrong, where a small number of tickets is not dealt
with for unknown reasons, possibly applying the AWOL process is much more
appropriate in those cases. Or is it asked to much to demand a sign of
life from the maintainer?