OptimizationKit 0.1.2-rc1

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 6 20:14:34 UTC 2008

Oliver Falk <oliver <at> linux-kernel.at> writes:
> * It's not autotools aware. It's a - sorry, no offense - stupid
> install.sh....

And where's the problem?

IMHO, the autotools cause more problems than they solve.

It is preferred to have separate compilation and installation steps rather than
a single install.sh which does everything (even though we can also work with
the latter, it just means we have to compile it during %install rather
than %build as expected), and there must be a way to install to $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
rather than /, but otherwise I don't see what's wrong with homegrown scripts if
the program is small enough.

Once you have more than one source file, a makefile will serve you better than
a script though. And if you need a real build system, I'd suggest using cmake,
KDE switched from autotools to cmake for a reason (more than one, actually).

        Kevin Kofler