fish packaging (and possible other shells)

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Tue Apr 8 09:31:47 UTC 2008

Hi!

I'd like to suggest something for the man pages problem with fish, that
might be also interesting for other shells.

At the moment I have 28 %exclude lines in the fish spec; All are in
$_mandir/man1 and would conflict with bash, if not excluded.

Bash is the preferred shell for most users, but there's no reason, why
bash should be allowed to get preference in installing man-pages into
man1. No offense, I'm a bash-user as well, but there are other shells as
well. :-)

I had a look at the FHS, but I didn't find a good solution for this, but
I had the following idea of 'fixing' the problem:

and every shell should set $MANDIR to $_mandir/<shell>.

AFAIK, this is an ancient problem that we should eliminate :-)

Ideas, comments?

-of