very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Apr 8 14:20:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 08:20 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > So what did you do differently than I did?
>
> Dunno what did you do different to me ?

Are you actually reading mail Alan?

"Just for funsies I attempted a text mode install in an i386 KVM guest
with 128 megs of ram.  Using today's rawhide boot.iso (which has stage2
on it) and pointing it at an http mirror.  Guess what, the install
completed fine, and booted after the fact.  I picked a minimal package
set from the package selector (included vim-enhanced though).  That's
still 428~ packages."

I showed my methodology, you haven't.  It's rather impossible for me to
deduce what I've done differently from you, when I don't know what you
did.

--
Jesse Keating