very common kernel modules slow down the boot process

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 17:21:08 UTC 2008

On 08/04/2008, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> "Don't bother:"  <-- Fedora doesn't work for these systems.  False.

Woah. He didn't say "don't bother *using Fedora*" he said that some
upgrade and/or install situations might need a different approach (and
he is talking about old hardware that you really aren't targeting any
more).

>  "- Use a distro more suited to small systems"  <-- Fedora doesn't work
>  for these systems.  False.

Here, it is more a question of "suited to task" than the system; and
he may be right for e.g. a firewall or router running on a 486 DX/33
with 8MB or RAM or something ;o)

>  You're incorrectly driving people away from Fedora for no good reason.

Not really. I've been using Fedora since ... well, since it was RHL
4.2, and Alan's not putting me off at all. He's offering workarounds
for places where it's harder to use Fedora these days (and it is; even
my 1.1GHz Athlon struggles on upgrades with only 512MB of RAM
available, not to mention that's not even DDR).

It really would help if you'd bear in mind that we don't all want to
go buy a new PC every time we upgrade (one thing that really makes
people run away for Windows, for example).