i586 kernels [Was: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process]

Mike Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Apr 8 18:38:10 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: i586 kernels [Was: very common kernel modules slow down
the	boot process]
From: Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 04/08/2008 10:15 AM

>>> Bring along a lot of time ... installation/updates are really slow ;)
>>>
>> Not to sound *too* negative, but is there a donation fund where I can
>> put $5 so you guys with i586s can upgrade? Good lord.
>>
>> I'm sure if you melted down the gold, copper, and steel in the i586
>> computers you guys have you could *easily* afford a Core 2 Quad with 4
>> gigs of DDR2.
> What you are missing: There are other aspects besides "being able to
> afford a Core 2 Quad", ...
>
> ... if I were interested in running a "multimedia desktop" (which I
> presume is the direction certain folks are trying to drive Fedora into),
> I'd probably use Vista or buy a Mac.

Going further OT here.

So you wish to say Linux isn't "multimedia competent?" Tell that to any
number of Hollywood movie studios that use Linux to produce their
movies. If anything, Linux is *more* powerful with media content (video,
audio, and pictures) than Windows or OS X. If you take the time to
research it as I did, you will find the same result. You will be
limiting yourself by using Vista or a Mac. You may think I'm some
righteous Linux "zealot" by saying this, but I'm not making up stories.
It doesn't benefit me in any way to lie. Linux runs in my HDTV at home,
and it also runs on some of the largest and fastest super computers in
the world. Calling Linux as not being "multimedia aware" is foolish.

P.S. Replace Linux with Fedora where appropriate. Fedora is flexible
enough that you could strip out Gnome (I do) and other components to get
down to an RPM install with a kernel and whatever else may please you.
You can thank all the people on this list (inc. Red Hat) for that.