bugzilla triage madness :-/

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:28:20 UTC 2008

2008/4/8 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
> Le mardi 08 avril 2008 à 13:45 -0400, Jon Stanley a écrit :
>
> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:25 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > >  The story here is somewhat one-sided.  Are there any equivalent thoughts on
>  > > the number of users experiencing the results of these bugs, the total
>  > > man-hours wasted by them on the user side,  or what their response to them
>  > > should be?
>  >
>  > Sure there are.  Out of 11,905 bugs right now, there are 3775
>  > reporters.  That averages out to about 3 per reporter.  Of those 3775
>  > reporters, 2408 have reported only one bug.
>
>  You see a large pool of people it's safe do ask more of since they do
>  little. I see a large pool of people who found out our bug reporting
>  experience so hostile they didn't repeat the operation.

Having read this same exact conversation on Debian, Mandrake, FSF
lists.. this is a common thing. Every bug reporting experience is
hostile because it doesn't deliver instant gratification, and you are
usually cranky because the software is not working.

Bug fixing is a problem that is not fun and is usually why people get
paid lots of money to work on. In the case where the packager or
maintainer is a volunteer (even in the sense if they work for RH but
their main job is fixing something else).. you are going to see a lot
of missed bugs. However to the bug reporter that is no excuse. So what
can we do to better manage expectations? And how can Fedora better
help maintainers and users. In some cases that will mean a maintainer
loses a package if they are not responding to bugs. In some cases it
will mean users will have to wait for gratification because it may
take a week or two for a bug to be triaged, fixed etc