bugzilla triage madness :-/

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 19:49:43 UTC 2008

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Having read this same exact conversation on Debian, Mandrake, FSF
> lists.. this is a common thing. Every bug reporting experience is
> hostile because it doesn't deliver instant gratification, and you are
> usually cranky because the software is not working.

Part of the hostility is already there because the end user hit a bug he
didn't expect in a released product and he's already wasted a lot of his
own time.  The only way I can see to improve this in fedora is to get
more testing in rawhide - but I don't know how to get a larger or more
active community involved there.  People's expectations are just higher
than they used to be and since last year's release tends to be 'good
enough', they aren't as excited as they used to be about trying
something newer and better.  Or maybe it's just me getting old and cranky...

 > And how can Fedora better help maintainers and users.

If the previous release was in fact "good enough", don't break the
fedora released version by pushing out new bugs that are known but not
fixed in rawhide.  A judgment call, of course.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com