i586 kernels [Was: very common kernel modules slow down the boot process]

Mike Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Tue Apr 8 21:36:46 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re: i586 kernels [Was: very common kernel modules slow	down
the	boot process]
From: Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
Date: 04/08/2008 03:38 PM

> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 13:38 -0500, Mike Cronenworth wrote:
>> Going further OT here.
>>
>> So you wish to say Linux isn't "multimedia competent?"
> No, I am not saying this.
>
> I say *Fedora* has taken a road which is leading away from where Linux
> has had it's genuine domains and which had made Linux interesting.

Linux in general has grown beyond its baby days as a tinker toy. People,
such as yourself, are resisting that change, however, the power for you
to maintain the "old style" is not going away so the only thing I can
think of of why you feel threatened is that your kind is becoming far a
few between.

> Fedora is on the road to become a single-user, single-seat operating
> system only being suitable for high end machines. It's things like
> multi-user capabilities and deployment to "recycled low end hardware"
> which I feel are going down the drain.

How is it becoming single-user when you are presented a multi-user login
screen by default? Fedora Directory Server? *scratches head*

High-end machines? The kernel still maintains low resource usage, in the
view of my pea-sized-brain. On the other hand, I don't think Fedora has
much control over what Gnome or KDE do. Take it up with them. Another
alternative is to try switching to a desktop environment that demands
less resources - such as XFCE. Even on my "high end" machines I use XFCE.

What prevents you from customizing the list of installed packages or
even rebuilding packages to use on older hardware? The only package I
would say is a concern is the kernel, which this thread is about. What
prevents you from using rpmbuild --rebuild with your own .confg? Sure
it's an extra step, but should Fedora -- who's goal is to be bleeding
edge (or last time I checked) -- keep maintaining compatibility with 286
hardware just for a select few? Shouldn't those select few have the
knowledge to modify what is necessary and still have "Fedora" on their
machine? Maybe you could start a website devoted to running older
hardware with Fedora; a wiki that documents the necessary changes to
packages to maintain their usefulness. Why kick and fight change? Long
story short, I see this in the customers I work for as well. They hate
change. Hardware upgrades are death to them. I don't see how anyone
works like this. You have to accept change in the computing world if you
want to survive. This type of freedom comes easily with Linux. Try the
same thing with Vista. (*chuckles*)

I feel this thread has overflowed. If anyone wishes to debate this with
me on a new thread or off list I'd be glad to.

> Ralf

Mike