Zimbra packages in Fedora

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Apr 9 02:11:34 UTC 2008

On Sunday 28 October 2007, King InuYasha wrote:
> I had noticed how well that Zimbra has been doing, and I was wondering if
> it would be possible for someone to make packages for Zimbra to be included
> in Fedora?

I spoke with someone from Zimbra at FudCon,  They really dont want to work
with any community.  There needs to be alot of work done to be able to sanely
package zimbra.  I think ultimately it will take forking the last version
released under MPL and moving forward from there.  their current license is
not acceptable for inclusion in fedora.

I think a better option would be open exchange  it will work with all the
pieces that are in fedora.  rather than replacing apache, postfix, mysql etc
they provide installation instructions
http://wiki.open-xchange.com/wiki/index.php?title=Open_Xchange_Installation

We would need to create scripts to make tarballs from their cvs and package up
things  but I see 2 pluses,  a big one being that everything is GPL, and the
second being that they seem to want to work with their community.  not
dictate to them.

Dennis