F8 -> F9 upgrade check 20080406

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 09:46:54 UTC 2008

2008/4/8, Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak at redhat.com>:

> On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 15:25 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> >

> > 2008/4/6, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>:
> >
> >         mono-zeroconf:
> >           F8-updates > F9 (0:0.7.5-4.fc8 > 0:0.7.5-3.fc9)
> >
> > This is the same exact code, the revision is merely higher because of
> > a little import snarfu. Shouldn't pose a problem
>

> A way to aviod problems like these is to keep the same revision number
> part before dist tag when using the same source package, and only
> increase the part of revision after the dist tag when doing change that
> applies to a branch.
>
> That way you'll do (example):
>
> f8       |  f9
> -----------------
> -1.fc8   < -1.fc9 (Initial build of same package on branch and trunk)
> -1.fc8.1 < -1.fc9 (Made a change on branch)
> -1.fc8.1 < -2.fc9 (Imported new trunk)
> -2.fc8   < -2.fc9 (Merged the trunk into branch)
> -2.fc8.1 < -2.fc9 (And do another branch change)
>
> Without breaking upgrade path at any point in time.

That would work yes, but you know what would also work.. CVS, dead in a
ditch, it simply should not be able to create the kind of inconsistency it
did for me, that was clearly a CVS bug. I have not worked with CVS before
starting as a Fedora contributor, the fact that following the guide to the
letter can occasionally cause CVS errors like what I got (it appeared to not
transfer the files completely but I was not allowed to check the files back
in - the quick fix was merely to bump the build) - well it does tend to
frighten me.

- David