Fedora 9 Beta Live CD: disabling services during interactive startup

Oisin Feeley oisin.feeley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 04:00:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oisin Feeley wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The i686 FedoraDesktop LiveCD appears to fail somewhere after
> > NetworkManagerDispatcher is started. The exact symptoms are that the
> > screen flickers, goes blank and the CD drive continues to spin for
> > minutes and then becomes inactive. Keyboard or touchpad input results
> > in the CD drive spinning up again but the screen remaining blank.
> >

>  After NetworkManagerDispatcher starts, these things could be happening:
>  haldaemon starts (could be before NMD)
>  cups starts (could be before NMD)
>
>  anacron starts
>  firstboot starts
>  NetworkManager starts
>
>  I think NM goes before firstboot though.
>
>  Do you have a wireless adapter in that machine?

I don't think we can blame NetworkManager for this.  I do have an
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG in the machine (it's supported perfectly in
Fedora 8 apart from suspend-to-RAM and hibernate-to-disk issues).  The
laptop has a hardware switch to disable the card and it makes no
difference whether it's on/off.  Also I was able to boot to runlevel 3
and then telinit to runlevel 5 (see other reply to you) and then
authenticate to my AP. According to /var/log/messages it's using the
iwl3945 module.

>From what I see the order towards the end is:
CUPS
HAL
NetworkManagerDispatcher
firstboot
rhgb-client

So all I have at the moment is are pairs of fail/succeed
/var/log/messages and and an lspci -vv output and lsmod.

Any point in me opening a bugzilla with this?  I'm probably going to
go ahead and mess around with the initscripts as described in my other
post anyway.

Oisin