Stuck at NFS root boot in F9

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 16 00:20:46 UTC 2008

> Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com) said:
> > > Is it a bug that nothing in the base system has a dependency on
> > > event-compat-sysv?  Relying on comps groups alone isn't entirely robust.
> > >   This seems to be also how some F8 to F9 upgrade failures are getting
> > > stuck during boot as well.
> >
> > Seems like a bug to me. This breaks yum upgrades.
>
> Do you have your yum/upgrade log? There's no reason it shouldn't be
> pulled in on upgrades.

No, but I have 5 other machines to upgrade now that I know the
problem... :)

On another machine, if I do a full "yum upgrade", event-compat-sysv does
indeed get pulled in. ...But that's not what I did. My laptop is rather
limited in resources, "only" 512mb RAM and a couple GB free, so I
figured it would be best to do a staged upgrade. First I decided to
upgrade my key applications, "yum update galeon evolution". Through a
long convoluted chain of dependencies, this ends up upgrading mkinitrd,
which requires updating initscripts, which pulls in upstart. This
resulted in a raft of file collisions with sysvinit, and fails during
the transaction test. To get around it, I just "rpm -e --nodeps
sysvinit" figuring upstart was supposed to replace it anyway. I assumed
package dependencies would do their job and fix things or at the very
least alert me to any problems. Obviously, this did not happen. After
the first run, I did a full "yum update" to get the rest of the
packages, this fails to bring in event-compat-sysv since I manually
removed sysvinit, leaving you with an un-bootable system even though
"package-cleanup --problems" indicates no problems.